Sunday, September 11, 2005

Long awaited update of my life now that I'm in Manchester!

Well what have I been doing here for the past 3 days? What am I gonna be doing in the next few days, weeks and years?

Spent the last 2 1/2 days 'touring' Manchester (city centre and university) with my dad. Got introduced to various interesting and not-so-interesting buildings. Old structures and ancient ones. Safe streets and those to be avoided after dark. Well most of them, basically. 'Cause apparently drunkards and poor homeless blacks rule the streets after the pubs close.
Oh and we WALKED a LOT these 2 1/2 days. Nope didn't rent a car - not much parking space here in the city area, come to think of it - and the hotel we booked was within walking distance (kinda) from the university.

OK the city. First impressions : Small, old, and well, small. The whole city centre is like... the CBD, actually. With very few tall buildings though. Most of them are like ancient structures - or modern buildings masquerading as ancient ones - and aren't more than a few stories high. And the university is really like SMU, location I mean. Of course. So its within walking distance of like, the equivalent of Orchard Road. Woohoo. One of these days if I feel depressed I'm gonna undergo quite a bit of retail therapy.

OK orientation's gonna start tomorrow - actually registration starts today, but there's nothing more than that - and I'll get sporadic Internet access if I really want to. There's this computer cluster where there's free computer use 23 hours a day. But is damn crowded, of course. So I'll login once in a while to blog, check email and do various weird stuff. No MSN though, these smart people have somehow disabled the program - even the web version!!!

Oh people here are generally nice, I think. Not much contact with Brits as of yet, as this orientation's only for international students. And the international students I've met seem quite blur too. Which is good of course.

Will blog again soon. Cheers.

No comments: