Thursday, February 24, 2005

Oh went to this performance today. Dame Gilian Weir. On the esplanade's pipe organ.
Damn impressive.
The pipe organ. You should really go see/listen to it one day. Seriously.

Anyways. Saw a lot of st nick's girls, ang mohs and people dressed nicely. As in you could see they were people of some "class" or "repute" lah.

As some of the pieces weren't that impressive (to me), I had quite some time to think of some stuff.
OK clarification here, the pieces were actually fantastic. She displayed a technical expertise and virtuosity I've seen only once before; her playing was subtle, yet forceful; the music evoked scenes of jubilation, solemnity and serenity (different pieces of course) and the impressive acoustics of the place accentuated the marvellous accents and nuances of the music....

I'm jus... too boorish to like all dat lah.

OK. So thoughts.

1. Yay! They're promoting cultural appreciation and all that stuff in schools!!! (Very brief thought) But why are they in UNIFORM?! I mean... esplanade... uniform...?????

2. Singaporean audiences are just.... not mature enough to attend cultural performances. I'm totally serious about this, I was very close to shouting "SHUT UP!!!" in the middle of the performance. There were shuffling noises (of What I don't know), sounds of people leafing through their booklets (During the performance! And Loudly!!!) and incessant coughing.
Coughing is OK, but I don't believe coughs get worse during the "quieter" sections of pieces.
Its like you can tell they're uncomfortable with those sections lah. And have to like do something to make themself more at ease / ease their boredom.
Come on, man, I was bored too. But I believe you have to show respect to the performer, even if you don't appreciate the music he/she is performing.
You know there were some sections where I was just about to immerse myself in the music (seriously!) when a stupid cough jus spoilt my whole mood?
Damn pissed off about it.

3. You know like attending social functions are a sign of your, well, social status rite? Well I've been thinking, are there many people out there who attend such performances jus to get noticed by others? To show their "appreciation for the arts", and to create conversation topics. I mean, you can't talk about soccer (Oh Liverpool sucks!!!) with your fellow party-goers rite.
And which led to my other thought, so Why is it some topics are not conversation-worthy for the rich and famous? Why the need for special exclusive ones that only they can talk about? Isn't there more to life than the latest fashion line from Godknowswho or the price of some worthless commodity? Is it an inferior complex in disguise?
Or is it just a human instinct? A desire to be above others. To be part of an exclusive group.
Am I going to turn out just like that? Spout rubbish over worthless liquids marketed like holy water? (Yes I'm referring to fine wine. Social drinking of wine is jus detrimental to your health lah. Admit it.)

4. I will Not turn out to be just another member of the above-mentioned. My life will be more than just the pursuit of wealth and exclusivity.
And I will try to change, from now on.

No comments: