I have this thing about watches.
I remember in the past, when I was in primary and even secondary school (started from p4 I think) I used to change watches once a year. Yah quite a waste of money come to think of it. But my excuse then to my mum would always be, the battery's running out! (And indeed they Do run out after one year, or thereabouts) And she would bring me shopping for watches. One of the rare things I liked to shop for. Yes I hated shopping.
Oh she would always bring me to this small shop in Thomson Plaza, which sold, and still sells I think, Casio watches. Authorised dealer leh. So yah, I would just go there, happily choose a watch, be told it doesnt look nice on me, insist on it, and get it. I guess I sorta knew the price range my mum was looking at too, and 'upgraded' my watches like slowly, as I grew up.
Oh approaching JC I had this stainless steel watch which I kept for two years. Loved it, but it got lost in the army. Sigh.
Bought my first watch, using my own money, in the army. Cost me a bomb then, like, 3/4 of my allowance.
Promised myself then that I'll wear it for as long as I can - and I still am wearing it. In fact, I don't think I'll ever change it - I have another one for more formal events [yup thanks for the watch guys ;) ] and that might change as I conform to societal pressures - but this one will always be with me. Heck I'll keep it in a glass box or something if its beyond reasonable repair.
Yup I just like the versatility of it - the stainless steel and 'hands' giving it some form of sensibility; the alternating rubber pieces showing my individualistic side (conforming, yet rebelling, at the same time); the electronic functions, and the digital time shown, lurking beneath its sensible exterior; the horribly loud colours of the backlight (purple and green) providing conversational topics (I like it despite its flaws)...
I just love my watch.
No this is not some random rant or egoistic display of pretentious pride, btw, though I do love my watch.
Tuesday, February 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment