Thursday, July 28, 2005

Finally feel compelled to write something about It.
Why I did it where I did it, the reasons behind my doing it and of course why it is what it is.
I'll start with the simplest - location. Well the area won't sag - at least not as much as the chest - and I don't think fat goes there as much as, say, the stomach. (Just imagine something on a beer belly years down the road - yikes!)
And oh its always concealed, of course, unless some fashion designer comes up with see-through shirts that are (and this is important) accepted by the mainstream. Oh trips to the beach or swimming pool? Well I don't really care about public opinion. Not when its not satanic or something like that. And of course if a girl gets scared away by the sight of a simple imprint I don't think she's worth going after. Ditto for friends I'd like to make.
Plus I'm acutely aware of the fact that people are fascinated by bare skin, and the lack of it.
OK the reasons behind it. (Its design comes under this as well.)
1. I'm Chinese.
I'm proud of my culture. I guess no matter what you say about the world being a global village, playground or quagmire, I still feel distinctly Chinese. Well, Singaporean Chinese, but that's not the point. Its the identity that I'm talking about, that we all seek - the roots that anchor us, keep us from amorally having sex with all and sundry, creaming off hundreds of thousands of dollars from the auntie that cleans your table when you've finished making a mess out of it, or tacitly allow a colleague to do that.
I'm not being racist when I say that when you've lost your values - and I'm not talking just about 'Confucian values' - you've lost your sense of self. Every race and community has its values, and when you desert your values, you've lost your sense of self.
Sorry I digressed. But well it was because of my firm sense of identity (as of now) that I wanted it imprinted on myself - to constantly remind myself that I am Chinese, and more importantly, I would not lose myself without the physical constraints of my family.
2. Instead of some cheesy cliche like 'ren(3)', I wanted something more meaningful. Like my name, which reminds me of my family, naturally.
And I am a little narcissistic i'll admit.
3(and more). Now identity aside, I guess I do share some of the reasons why people do it - connotations of rebelling against, well, something; the desire to be different; appear more macho (i can take pain, yeah!); and of course I saw a pretty seahorse on my cousin a few years back and thought hey, dats cool! Let me do something like that too!
Oh and I wanted to dispel the notion that I'm a guai guy. If not that, at least that not only gangsters or bengs can have it.

Anyone for swimming or the beach next week? Girls, especially? ;)

_______________________________________________________
Pls refer to it as, well, it in your comments, for personal reasons. Yes its a secret to some. Thanks.

No comments: