I drive to (and from) work almost everyday now that my father's overseas. The hours spent on the roads are good times for observation and reflection. Often in that order.
I've noticed that the stretch from Bukit Panjang to Mandai has been recently re-paved. Led me to think about the times I've spent on the *road in other countries.
Singapore's road system (?) is really terrific, you know, when you compare it to those of other countries. For example. America's roads... well I should just say you Do need cars that offer 'comfortable rides' on them. The UK's too. Malaysia's highways are better, in my opinion, but then you need to pay quite an amount just to travel on them.
So I'm not against the recent increase in ERP timings/prices. We Do need some source of funds to pay for the raw materials, foreign talents that work on them, as well as to upkeep the system itself.
Now on a totally unrelated topic. When you invest a huge amount in something, you Will want to recoup your initial losses, as well as to maximise your profits in the future right? Once you've got something in place, why not try to squeeze maximum profit from it, when your profit ceiling is determined by you yourself, not your customers?**
And on another totally unrelated topic, I just got to know that my uncle has been caught speeding so many times that his driving license is on the verge of being suspended. My mum's using this anecdote to warn me not to speed. 'So many cameras everywhere now' is what she often says.
Coincidentally I browsed through the traffic police website recently. There seems to be cameras on every road I've ever travelled on.
And to list out the penalties for speeding:
Exceeding speed limit of road up to 20km/h : $130, 4 points.
" " " " " from 20-30km/h: $150, 6 points.
" " " " " from 30-40km/h: $170, 8 points.
" " " " " above 40 km/h: Prosecuted in court. (More money + points)
Guess I'll just have to satisfy my speed cravings in Malaysia. No money to afford the fines sia.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*As a passenger - where you get even more time to think, without the trepidation and stress you have to endure as a driver (esp in singapore) - but that's another post.
** Jus thought of this example. Let's say I'm the company in charge of lockers at a swimming pool. Now you know that if you don't put your valuables in the lockers, you are responsible for your own losses. And there's no spectator stands or places to sit like the public swimming pools you have here.
So basically I have this monopoly of valuable-keeping. To improve the safety of Your valuables, I have recently changed the locks to hgh-tech ones that are highly key-specific, and impervious to tampering by vandals. Its natural that I have to raise prices, since the lockers are of such high quality, right? Since I'm running a company and Am looking for profits, I have to pass the cost on.
Oh and this makes me think of something else. Though I am running a public service for you, and I am already making some profits originally, I Do have to raise my prices to maintain my profitibility. I Am running a service for you, you know. You don't want me to collapse, do you. Not when my, no, Your, high-tech lockers are the envy of all swimming pools around the area.
Sunday, June 05, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment