Friday, April 22, 2011

Psychosis.

Just a little note here that I wrote a few months back about psychosis.

It all starts with an innocent thought.
A naive, half-formed notion misplaced,
Mis-appropriated,
Misguided in its quest for resolution.


It's how delusions start, I believe. A mis-reading of actions by others, where gradually the usual mechanisms that keep our wild thoughts in check get eroded, re-programmed, if you like, sometimes knowingly, sometimes not. Then layer upon layer the mistakes accrue, till you get something so barmy nobody can understand - it's that little disconnect, that differentiates an odd but comprehensible thought process, and a pathological one.

For those of you in the know I know psychosis is much more than delusions, but note I'm just trying to demonstrate how delusions can be explained in a biochemical model (imagine thoughts as neurons 'aligning' and firing in synchronicity) here, just as how the occipital cortex gets activated in auditory hallucinations.

Fascinating aren't they, our brains.

No comments: