Note to self: Some things in life just cannot be meddled with.
Just tried making some beef noodles with dumplings, seeing as I had spare minced beef, mushrooms and flour I needed to use up. Accidentally put a little too much water into the mixture (had turned the tap a little too vigourously) and realised I had not enough flour to compensate for it. And then remembered I had cornflour - half a packet, in fact, a relic from years past that I had to use up as well - and made a spur of the moment decision to add it to the mixture. Thought that since it looked similar and had a role in thickening stuff up it'd work. Somehow.
Seemed like a good idea, at that time.
Obviously it wasn't, and I ended up with a semi-gooey texture, similar to that of sweet-and-sour 'sichuan' soup from dubious Chinese restaurants. Yes I do mean semi-gooey, it occupies that middle ground between an ill-meaning suspension (well technically it is one, isn't it?) of unidentifiable constituents1, and goo2. Like a food play experiment gone very wrong.
Eww indeed.
Am not looking forward to eating it.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.I didn't add any oil - if I did would I have turned it into an emulsion, perhaps? Need some chemists' input here.
2. Interestingly, type 'goo' into yahoo search and google dominates the search results?! Wrong on so many levels, isn't it.
Sunday, May 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment